Tips for Working with Firefox
We all love the open-source web browser Firefox - it's just great. And with all the extensions available, it only gets better!
Here are a few not-so-obvious tips and tricks that can make using this browser even more of a pleasure.
- More Screen
Minimize your icons to give you more browsing space.
View -> Toolbars -> Customize -> choose 'small icons' and click done.
- Bookmarking Favorite Sites
You found a site you like are visit often and bookmarked it. Now you can add key words to make it easier to access.
Bookmarks -> Right click on your site and choose 'Properties'. Enter a key word in the 'Keyword' field and save. You can now navigate to this site by simply entering the keyword in the URL bar.
- Speed up your Browser
A quick search on Google will bring you a number of possibilities for speeding up your browser.
- Firefox Preloader - loads your firefox settings with the launch of your OS - so that opening Firefoz is quicker.
- Customize your hidden parameters to optimize your surfing abilities.
- Enter 'about:config' into your address bar.
- Use the filter to find...
- network.http.pipelining - double click on it to change its value to true.
- network.http.proxy.pipelining - double click on it to change its value to true.
- network.http.pipelining.maxrequests - change its value to 30. Now right-click on the window and choose 'New' from the menu that appears. Now choose 'Integer' and give it the name: 'nglayout.initialpaint.delay'. Set its value to zero.
- Ctrl+Tab to move to the right tab.
- Ctrl+Shift+Tab to move to the left tab.
- Ctrl+1-9 to move to a specific tab.
- Shift+Ctrl+Del to delete history, cookies, and clear your cache.
- Spacebar to scroll down.
- Shift+Spacebar to scroll up.
- Ctrl+F to search.
- Alt+N to 'find next'.
- Ctrl+D to bookmark a page.
- Ctrl+T to open a new tab.
- Ctrl+K to move your cursor to the search bar.
- Ctrl+L to move your cursor to the address bar.
- Ctrl+= to zoom in.
- Ctrl+- to zoom out.
- Ctrl+W to close a tab.
- F5 to reload the page.
- Alt+Home to go to your home page.
- Mouse Shortcuts
- Middle click on a link to open it in a new tab.
- Shift+Scrolling down moves you back to the previous page.
- Shift+Scrolling up moves you forward to the next page.
- Ctrl+Scrolling down zooms in.
- Ctrl+Scrolling up zooms out.
- Middle click on a tab to close it.